April 19, 2016
Organization: Government of Afghanistan
Closing date: 30 Apr 2016
Post: ConsultantJob Categories: Agriculture
Minimum Education Level: Master Degree
Vacancy No: 1515/MAIL/SNaPP2
Organization: SNaPP2 (General Directorate of Extension)
Duty Station:Nangarhar (Darah e Noor and Khewa/Kuzkunar)**Herat** (Karukh and
Zendhajan). Balkh (NahriShahi and DihDadai) two in each province.
Duration: 1 year (with possibility of extension)
No of Positions: 1
Sex: Male / Female
Salary: Based on Qualification and Experiences
Announcement Date: 16-April-2016
Closing Date: 30-April-2016
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 10 Years
The Government of Afghanistan with the financial assistance of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) has launched a project - SNPP 2 in the three provinces of the country. SNPP 2 is designed to assist the Government achieve its economic growth and poverty alleviation objectives. The overall goal of the project is to reduce poverty in rural Afghanistan and to improve food security of 57000 rural household in selected districts in the provinces of Hirat, Nangarhar and Balkh by increasing agriculture and livestock productivity.
SNPP 2 is expected to reduce poverty by enhancing food security with as strong emphasis on women -headed household and the vulnerable and marginalized groups within the rural communities. Also project aimed to strengthen the capacity of local community organizations, public extension services and relevant private sector entities in the pilot provinces; The project is expected to sustained increased incomes of small farmers and herders fostered by improvements in productivity and output, infrastructure and market linkages. Additionally the project aimed to support institutions and services, fostering increased productivity and production, and where feasible, upgrading profitable agriculture/livestock value chains.
2. Job Summary:
The IFAD's support entails robust monitoring and evaluation of the project through a range of impact assessment and baseline studies with primary focus on ongoing real time assessment of the processes employed in program activities as well as their outputs and outcome assessment. SNaPP2 is now planning to design a RIMS + baseline study for gauging the impact of the projects on treatment group which would precede a midterm review and impact assessment study which would be part of project.
In conformity with IFAD's requirement, consultant has to conduct a RIMS+ baseline survey shortly after project start up and before the beginning of implementation to assess the target groups situation regarding
3. Purpose of consultancy:· The target group's situation regarding household assets and child nutrition, wealth ranking, food security and diet diversity;
· The existed average crop production among the target groups and average income of herders from livestock production and productivity
· Current sale of target businesses and average annual income of targeted HHs
· Targeted women access and control over productive assets
· Average time spent in irrigation, milk processing, and post harvesting activities and linkages with private sectors
The consultant will collect sex disaggregated data; women headed HHs and give insight towards the existent situation of agriculture and livestock production and productivity in the program area. The consultant would use standard RIMS questionnaire that will be adapted to the Afghan context, translated into local language and completed with additional questions to cover all the indicators previously mentioned. Data would be processed in simple custom software package which has been provided by IFAD while the extra questions should be feed to sample excel data base.
In view of above SNPP 2 has decided to conduct baseline survey of its's target communities which is operational mainly in the provinces of Blkh, Herat and Nangarhar provinces. Keeping in view the IFAD guidelines, the sample size should be 900 households in treatment villages. For the purpose of this project, as per IFAD guidelines, no control will be set and analysis will be based on a Before-and-After approach for the treatment area.
4. Scope of services:The assignment will be carried out by an experienced consultant under the supervision of the Project Support Unit (PSU) and will be carried out during 20 days and include the following tasks:
· Adapt the standard IFAD RIMS questionnaire to the SNPP 2 and include key additional outcome indicators.
· Training of enumerators;
· Advise PSU on sampling of a control group; (included Selection of households who will be surveyed (Using IFAD RIMS+ baseline survey guideline for the identification of sampled HH)
· Pre-testing of questionnaire based closely on the RIMS questionnaire, incorporating questions from Poverty Score Card (to be provided by SNPP 2).
· Training of data entry clerks and Organise data entry from the survey questionnaires
· Undertake Data-cleaning and validation
· Data entry in the software will be done by project.
· Analyze and present/report all data generated through the survey in full compliance with the IFAD's RIMS guidelines as well as MAIL frame work
· Cross-check findings with any available secondary sources (e.g. UNICEF, UNDP, FAO, World Bank data or national datasets).
· Produce a final report, which documents the findings of the RIMS plus baseline survey. The electronic version of the report should be sent to IFAD and the project.
· Prepare a draft manual based for future surveys based on data review and validation process and a note on lessons learnt (including assessment of effectiveness, data quality, and validity/reliability of the process)
· Any other tasks requested by the SNaPP2/PSU team in relation to completing the survey analysis and reporting.
Also the consultant will advise PSU on establishing control group, organize data entry and supervise data entry team, lead data cleaning and validation; dataset analysis and report writing; present draft and final RIMS plus baseline report to PSU, SPs and concerned Government authorities.
5. Expected deliverables:· Baseline study approach (sampling framework, data collection strategy, methodologies, etc) Comprehensive monitoring strategy / plan for project data collection to support baseline study and successive evaluations
· Quality assurance plan setting out the systems and processes for assuring the quality of the research process and deliverable, including piloting of all research activities; training of enumerators and researchers conducting the primary research; and management planning and data verification including back-checking and quality control by supervisors; and data cleaning and editing before any analysis;
· Research ethics plan detailing approach to ensuring complete compliance with international good practices in research ethics and protocols, particularly with regard to safeguarding children (including parental and/or age-appropriate consent), vulnerable groups and those in fragile / conflict affected states. The plan should also describe administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the confidentiality of those participating in the research and the data collected from the study;
· Primary quantitative and qualitative research instruments developed for baseline study for the common indicators while use IFAD RIMS guideline for RIMS indicators.
· One training conducted for enumerators on study design, sampling framework, research instruments and research ethics. Duration and content of training to be determined by consultant
· Fully 'cleaned-up' dataset in SPSS file format. It is expected that 10-12 sets of cross-tabulations breaking down the results for all questions and including appropriate statistical tests so that significant differences can easily be identified.
· Baseline study report that describes the initial conditions (before the start of the project) against which progress can be measured or comparisons made to show the effects and impacts of the project in the targeted area.
6. Consultant(s) qualifications and experience:· Relevant degree(s) in social sciences, socio-economic or development studies, preferably in Agriculture science.
· Strong experience with and knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods and sampling strategies
· Experience with in designing and conducting studies using experimental or quasi-experimental techniques.
· Statistical analysis skills and strong proficiency with data analysis packages such as SPSS or STATA and qualitative data analysis software e.g. ATLAS or equivalent
· Proven experience in conducting baseline study surveys and evaluations, preferably on agricultural and food security programs.
· Research experience working with rural farmers and livestock owner an added advantage.
· IFAD experience will be a plus.
How to apply:
The interested candidates should submit their resume alone with a covering letter as follow conditions:
· Please send your CV along with a cover letter
· Subject line must be: (**Consultant 1515/MAIL/SNaPP**) otherwise your application will NOT be considered.
· Candidate's educational degree must be attested with Ministry of Higher Education - Afghanistan otherwise we will not accept the application in short listing process.
· Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered.
· Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
By email or Hard to the following address:
Jamal Mena, Karti - Sakhi
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock,
Support to National Priority Program 2
Email Address: email@example.com