Coronavirus COVID-19 Outbreak – What's New
Updated: January 12, 2022
Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths
Covid-19 Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths Compared
Confirmed COVID-19 cases, deaths, hospital admissions, and patients in ICU per million people in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and South Africa as of January 11, 2022. Note the Omicron variant wave began first in South Africa, then spread to the UK, then other countries including the US and Australia.
Data sources: Johns Hopkins CSSE. Our World in Data.
Omicron Variant Strain
Emerging Covid Strains: Omicron
Emerging SARS-CoV-2 Variant Cases reported across the globe. Pictured here are cases of the Omicron variant (B.1.1.529) as of January 5, 2022.Because of differences in detection and reporting, variants are likely present in some countries that have notyet reported them. The lack of reporting of a variant in a country does not indicate the variant is absent in that country.
Source: US Centers for Disease Control, WHO Variant Tracker.
SARS-CoV-2 Variants by Country
SARS-CoV-2 sequences by variant in selected countries. The graph shows the share of analyzed sequences in the preceding two weeks that correspond to each variant group as of January 06, 2022.
Sources: CoVariants.org, GSAID and Our Word in Data.
Variants in the United States: Omicron Now Dominates
Nowcast models of variants in the United States as of January 8, 2022. For several months before December 2021, the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant (B.1.617.2) dominated. In the weeks since December 2, 2021 the Omicron variant (B.1.1.529) has rapidly taken over as the dominant strain.
Source: US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
For details see Strains of SARS-CoV-2 Causing Covid-19.
New Cases in Countries with Highest COVID-19 Activity
Recent Confirmed Cases in countries with the highest reported COVID-19 activity (India, United States, Brazil, France, Russia, UK, Turkey, Italy, Spain). Note that the left axis is linear rather than logarithmic and representsthe number ofcases reported (rolling 7-day average) by each country.
Data sources: Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE). Our World in Data.
COVID-19 Outbreak Map by Johns Hopkins CSSE Click one of the links below to see the latest.
: Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE).
US COVID-19 Cases in last 7 Days
US COVID-19 Case Rate Reported to the CDC in the Last 7 Days, by State/Territory (cases per 100K) as of January 11, 2022.
Source: US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Covid-19 Level of Community Transmission in the US
New cases per 100k
% of tests positive
Transmission Risk in the United States in the past 7 days, as of January 6, 2022.
Transmission risk is calculated based on new cases per 100k persons and the percent of tests that are positive in the last 7 datys. If the two indicators suggest different transmission levels, the higher level is shown.
Source: US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Dong E, Du H, Gardner L. An interactive web-based dashboard to track COVID-19 in real time. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020. [PMID:32087114]
- Abbasi J. The Promise and Peril of Antibody Testing for COVID-19. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32301958]
- Angulo FJ, Finelli L, Swerdlow DL. Reopening Society and the Need for Real-Time Assessment of COVID-19 at the Community Level. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32412582]
- Argenziano MG, Bruce SL, Slater CL, et al. Characterization and clinical course of 1000 patients with coronavirus disease 2019 in New York: retrospective case series. BMJ. 2020;369:m1996. [PMID:32471884]
- Beigel JH, Tomashek KM, Dodd LE, et al. Remdesivir for the Treatment of Covid-19 - Preliminary Report. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32445440]
- Berlin DA, Gulick RM, Martinez FJ. Severe Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32412710]
- Boulware DR, Pullen MF, Bangdiwala AS, et al. A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32492293]
- Brooks JT, Butler JC, Redfield RR. Universal Masking to Prevent SARS-CoV-2 Transmission-The Time Is Now. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32663243]
- COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Treatment Guidelines. National Institutes of Health. Available at https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/. Accessed 27 June 2020.
- Carfì A, Bernabei R, Landi F, et al. Persistent Symptoms in Patients After Acute COVID-19. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32644129]
- Cavalcanti AB et al. Hydroxychloroquine with or without Azithromycin in Mild-to-Moderate Covid-19. N Engl J Med. July 23, 2020 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2019014
- Chandrashekar A, Liu J, Martinot AJ, et al. SARS-CoV-2 infection protects against rechallenge in rhesus macaques. Science. 2020. [PMID:32434946]
- Chen WH, Strych U, Hotez PJ, et al. The SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Pipeline: an Overview. Curr Trop Med Rep. 2020. [PMID:32219057]
- Chu DK, Akl EA, Duda S, et al. Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2020. [PMID:32497510]
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Reports. World Health Organization. [https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-...]
- Coronavirus Locations: COVID-19 Map by County and State. USAFacts.org. [https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/]
- Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count. New York Times. [https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html]
- Dufort EM, Koumans EH, Chow EJ, et al. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children in New York State. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32598830]
- Ellinghaus D, Degenhardt F, Bujanda L, et al. Genomewide Association Study of Severe Covid-19 with Respiratory Failure. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32558485]
- Feldstein LR, Rose EB, Horwitz SM, et al. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in U.S. Children and Adolescents. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32598831]
- Gao Q, Bao L, Mao H, et al. Rapid development of an inactivated vaccine candidate for SARS-CoV-2. Science. 2020. [PMID:32376603]
- Geleris J, Sun Y, Platt J, et al. Observational Study of Hydroxychloroquine in Hospitalized Patients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32379955]
- Goldman JD, Lye DCB, Hui DS, et al. Remdesivir for 5 or 10 Days in Patients with Severe Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32459919]
- Grein J, Ohmagari N, Shin D, et al. Compassionate Use of Remdesivir for Patients with Severe Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32275812]
- Halfmann PJ, Hatta M, Chiba S, et al. Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in Domestic Cats. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32402157]
- Havers FP, Reed C, Lim T, et al. Seroprevalence of Antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in 10 Sites in the United States, March 23-May 12, 2020. JAMA Intern Med. 2020. [PMID:32692365]
- Hung IF, Lung KC, Tso EY, et al. Triple combination of interferon beta-1b, lopinavir-ritonavir, and ribavirin in the treatment of patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19: an open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial. Lancet. 2020. [PMID:32401715]
- Jackson LA, Anderson EJ, Rouphael NG, et al. An mRNA Vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 - Preliminary Report. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32663912]
- Kirkcaldy RD, King BA, Brooks JT. COVID-19 and Postinfection Immunity: Limited Evidence, Many Remaining Questions. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32391855]
- Kupferschmidt K, Cohen J. Race to find COVID-19 treatments accelerates. Science. 2020;367(6485):1412-1413. [PMID:32217705]
- Li L, Zhang W, Hu Y, et al. Effect of Convalescent Plasma Therapy on Time to Clinical Improvement in Patients With Severe and Life-threatening COVID-19: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32492084]
- Lurie N, Saville M, Hatchett R, et al. Developing Covid-19 Vaccines at Pandemic Speed. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32227757]
- Mahase E. Covid-19: Low dose steroid cuts death in ventilated patients by one third, trial finds. BMJ. 2020;369:m2422. [PMID:32546467]
- Mahase E. Covid-19: What is the evidence for cloth masks? BMJ. 2020;369:m1422. [PMID:32265341]
- Mehra MR, Desai SS, Ruschitzka F, et al. Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine with or without a macrolide for treatment of COVID-19: a multinational registry analysis. Lancet. 2020. [PMID:32450107]
- Moore BJB, June CH. Cytokine release syndrome in severe COVID-19. Science. 2020. [PMID:32303591]
- Morawska L, Milton DK. It is Time to Address Airborne Transmission of COVID-19. Clin Infect Dis. 2020. [PMID:32628269]
- NIH Clinical Trial Shows Remdesivir Accelerates Recovery from Advanced COVID-19 [News]. US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. April 29, 2020. [https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/nih-clinical-trial-shows-remdesivir-...]
- NIH clinical trial of investigational vaccine for COVID-19 begins: study enrolling Seattle-based healthy adult volunteers [News]. March 16, 2020. [https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-clinical-trial-investiga...]
- Nationwide COVID-19 Metrics Since April 1. The COVID Tracking Project. [https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/us-all-key-metrics]
- Norrie JD. Remdesivir for COVID-19: challenges of underpowered studies. Lancet. 2020;395(10236):1525-1527. [PMID:32423580]
- Petherick A. Developing antibody tests for SARS-CoV-2. Lancet. 2020;395(10230):1101-1102. [PMID:32247384]
- Pollán M, Pérez-Gómez B, Pastor-Barriuso R, et al. Prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in Spain (ENE-COVID): a nationwide, population-based seroepidemiological study. Lancet. 2020. [PMID:32645347]
- RECOVERY Collaborative Group, Horby P, Lim WS, et al. Dexamethasone in Hospitalized Patients with Covid-19 - Preliminary Report. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32678530]
- Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. [https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-...]
- Rosenberg ES, Dufort EM, Udo T, et al. Association of Treatment With Hydroxychloroquine or Azithromycin With In-Hospital Mortality in Patients With COVID-19 in New York State. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32392282]
- Schaffer DeRoo S, Pudalov NJ, Fu LY. Planning for a COVID-19 Vaccination Program. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32421155]
- Sethuraman N, Jeremiah SS, Ryo A. Interpreting Diagnostic Tests for SARS-CoV-2. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32374370]
- Shi J, Wen Z, Zhong G, et al. Susceptibility of ferrets, cats, dogs, and other domesticated animals to SARS-coronavirus 2. Science. 2020. [PMID:32269068]
- Situation update worldwide. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. [https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases]
- Skipper CP, Pastick KA, Engen NW, et al. Hydroxychloroquine in Nonhospitalized Adults With Early COVID-19: A Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2020. [PMID:32673060]
- Stringhini S et al. Seroprevalence of anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies in Geneva, Switzerland (SEROCoV-POP): a population-based study. Lancet. June 11, 2020. S0140-6736(20)31304-0. [https://doi.org/10.1016/]
- Studdert DM, Hall MA. Disease Control, Civil Liberties, and Mass Testing - Calibrating Restrictions during the Covid-19 Pandemic. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32272003]
- Tang W, Cao Z, Han M, et al. Hydroxychloroquine in patients with mainly mild to moderate coronavirus disease 2019: open label, randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2020;369:m1849. [PMID:32409561]
- Torjesen I. Covid-19: Hydroxychloroquine does not benefit hospitalised patients, UK trial finds. BMJ. 2020;369:m2263. [PMID:32513810]
- Treon SP, Castillo J, Skarbnik AP, et al. The BTK-inhibitor ibrutinib may protect against pulmonary injury in COVID-19 infected patients. Blood. 2020. [PMID:32302379]
- Verdoni L, Mazza A, Gervasoni A, et al. An outbreak of severe Kawasaki-like disease at the Italian epicentre of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic: an observational cohort study. Lancet. 2020. [PMID:32410760]
- Walker PGT, Whittaker C, Watson OJ, et al. The impact of COVID-19 and strategies for mitigation and suppression in low- and middle-income countries. Science. 2020. [PMID:32532802]
- Wang X, Ferro EG, Zhou G, et al. Association Between Universal Masking in a Health Care System and SARS-CoV-2 Positivity Among Health Care Workers. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32663246]
- Wang Y, Zhang D, Du G, et al. Remdesivir in adults with severe COVID-19: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial. Lancet. 2020;395(10236):1569-1578. [PMID:32423584]
- Wiersinga WJ, Rhodes A, Cheng AC, et al. Pathophysiology, Transmission, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): A Review. JAMA. 2020. [PMID:32648899]
- Woloshin S, Patel N, Kesselheim AS. False Negative Tests for SARS-CoV-2 Infection - Challenges and Implications. N Engl J Med. 2020. [PMID:32502334]
Coronavirus COVID-19 Outbreak – What's Newis the Relief Central Word of the day!
© 2000–2022 Unbound Medicine, Inc. All rights reserved