- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission. 1
- Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age traveling to areas south of the Sahara Desert (see Map 3-14).
- Not recommended for travelers whose itineraries are limited to areas in the Sahara Desert (see Map 3-14).
- Areas with malaria: All.
- Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: High.
- Drug resistance 4: Chloroquine.
- Malaria species: P. falciparum 85%; P. malariae, P. ovale, P. vivax 15% combined.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine.