- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YF virus transmission and ≥1 year of age. 1
- Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age, except as mentioned below.
- Generally not recommended for travelers whose itinerary is limited to the following areas: the entire North Eastern Province; the states of Kilifi, Kwale, Lamu, Malindi, and Tanariver in the Coast Province; and the cities of Mombasa and Nairobi (Map 2-16).
- Areas with malaria: Present in all areas (including game parks) at altitudes <2,500 m (8,202 ft), including the city of Nairobi (Map 2-17).
- Drug resistance 3: Chloroquine.
- Malaria species: P. falciparum >85%, P. vivax 5%–10%, P. ovale rare.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, or tafenoquine 4
Map 2-16. Yellow fever vaccine recommendations in Kenya 1
1, 2 See footnotes
Map 2-17. Malaria in Kenya