- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission. 1
- Recommendations: None.
- Areas with malaria: All, except none in the city of Vientiane.
- Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Very low.
- Drug resistance 4: Chloroquine and mefloquine.
- Malaria species: P. falciparum 65%, P. vivax 3 4%, P. malariae and P. ovale 1% combined.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis:
- Along the Laos-Burma (Myanmar) border in the provinces of Bokeo and Louang Namtha and along the Laos-Thailand border in the province of Champasak and Saravan, along the Laos-Cambodia border, and along the Laos-Vietnam border: Atovaquone-proguanil or doxycycline.
- All other areas with malaria: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine.