- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YF virus transmission and ≥9 months of age, including transit >12 hours in an airport located in a country with risk of YF virus transmission. 1
- Recommendations: None
- Areas with malaria: Present in the regions of Kavango (East and West), Kunene, Ohangwena, Omusati, Oshana, Oshikoto, Otjozondjupa, and Zambezi. Rare cases in other parts of the country. No malaria in city of Windhoek (Map 2-19).
- Drug resistance 3: Chloroquine.
- Malaria species: P. falciparum >90%; P. malariae, P. ovale , and P. vivax rare.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Kavango (East and West), Kunene, Ohangwena, Omusati, Oshana, Oshikoto, Otjozunupa, and Zambezi: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, or tafenoquine. 4 Other parts of the country with rare cases: None (practice mosquito avoidance).
Map 2-19. Malaria in Namibia
© 2000–2022 Unbound Medicine, Inc. All rights reserved