- Requirements: Required for arriving travelers from all countries if traveler is ≥1 year of age.
- Recommendations: Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age.
- Areas with malaria: Present in the municipality of Tapanahony in Sipaliwini Province. Rare cases in Brokopondo Province and Boven Saramacca municipality in Sipaliwini Province. No malaria in Paramaribo.
- Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Low.
- Drug resistance 4: Chloroquine.
- Malaria species: P. falciparum >70%, P. vivax 15%–20%.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis:
- Tapanohony municipality in Sipaliwini Province: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine.
- Other areas with malaria: Mosquito avoidance only.