- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission and ≥1 year of age, including transit in an airport located in a country with risk of YFV transmission. 1
- Recommendations: None.
- Areas with malaria: Rural areas only. Rare cases in the Mekong and Red River Deltas. None in the cities of Da Nang, Haiphong, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Nha Trang, and Qui Nhon.
- Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Low.
- Drug resistance 4: Chloroquine and mefloquine.
- Malaria species: P. falciparum 50%–90%, P. vivax 10%–50%, P. knowlesi rare.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis:
- Southern part of the country in the provinces of Dac Lac, Gia Lai, Khanh Hoa, Kon Tum, Lam Dong, Ninh Thuan, Song Be, Tay Ninh: Atovaquone-proguanil or doxycycline.
- Other areas with malaria except Mekong and Red River Deltas: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine.
- Mekong and Red River Deltas: Mosquito avoidance only.