J. Assessment Checklists
10. Search and Rescue
- Determine how many collapsed structures in an urban area have been affected:
- What types?
- Hospitals, multistory public housing units, schools?
- Identify buildings constructed of reinforced concrete or other materials that would leave voids where trapped victims could survive:
- Apartment buildings.
- Industrial buildings.
- Office buildings.
- Hazardous installations creating secondary risks.
- Determine the predominant building types and construction material:
- Wattle and daub.
- Masonry buildings (adobe, brick, concrete blocks, stone masonry).
- Reinforced concrete structures (frames with brick infill, frames with load-bearing masonry walls, bearing walls, prefabricated structures).
- Steel structures (multistory steel structures, steel frames in an enfilade arrangement with reinforced concrete).
- Timber structures.
- Type of roof (reinforced concrete, steel, wood, grass, etc.).
- Determine the likelihood of finding survivors.
- Describe the local search and rescue capacity, and whether international Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) teams are on the ground or have been requested.
- Determine type of assistance needed:
- Search with technical equipment and/or dogs.
- Rescue with lifting, pulling, cutting, digging, and lighting equipment.
- Medical to oversee and aid in victim extraction.
- Special operations for removing hazardous materials, demolition, shoring of dangerous structures, or damage and emergency repair.
Last updated: May 18, 2017
"J. Assessment Checklists." Field Operations Guide, 2017. Relief Central, relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/Field-Operations-Guide/502034/all/J__Assessment_Checklists.
J. Assessment Checklists. Field Operations Guide. 2017. https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/Field-Operations-Guide/502034/all/J__Assessment_Checklists. Accessed June 2, 2020.
J. Assessment Checklists. (2017). In Field Operations Guide Retrieved June 02, 2020, from https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/Field-Operations-Guide/502034/all/J__Assessment_Checklists
J. Assessment Checklists [Internet]. In: Field Operations Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2020 June 02]. Available from: https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/Field-Operations-Guide/502034/all/J__Assessment_Checklists.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - J. Assessment Checklists ID - 502034 Y1 - 2017/05/18/ BT - Field Operations Guide UR - https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/Field-Operations-Guide/502034/all/J__Assessment_Checklists DB - Relief Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -