- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YF virus transmission and ≥1 year of age. 1
- Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age traveling to all mainland areas east of the area surrounding the canal (the entire provinces of Darién, Emberá, and Kuna Yala [also spelled Guna Yala] and areas of the provinces of Colón and Panama that are east of the canal) (Map 2-21).
- Not recommended for travelers whose itineraries are limited to areas west of the canal, the city of Panama, the canal area itself, and the Balboa Islands (Pearl Islands) and San Blas Islands (Map 2-21).
- Areas with malaria: Present in the provinces of Darién, Kuna Yala (also spelled Guna Yala), Ngäbe-Buglé, and eastern Panama province. None in Panama Oeste, the Canal Zone, and Panama City (Map 2-22).
- Drug resistance 3: Chloroquine (east of the Panama Canal).
- Malaria species: P. vivax 99%, P. falciparum 1%.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Provinces of Darién, Guna Yala, and eastern Panama province: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, primaquine, 4 or tafenoquine. 4 Ngäbe-Buglé: Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, mefloquine, primaquine, 4 or tafenoquine. 4