- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission and ≥1 year of age. 1
- Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age traveling to all mainland areas east of the area surrounding the canal (the entire provinces of Darién, Emberá, and Kuna Yala [also spelled Guna Yala] and areas of the provinces of Colón and Panamá that are east of the canal) (see Map 3-34).
- Not recommended for travelers whose itineraries are limited to areas west of the canal, the city of Panama, the canal area itself, and the Balboa Islands (Pearl Islands) and San Blas Islands (see Map 3-34).
- Areas with malaria: Present in the provinces of Darien, Kuna Yala (also spelled Guna Yala), Ngäbe-Buglé, and eastern Panama province. None in Panama Oeste, the Canal Zone, and Panama City (see Map 3-35).
- Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Low.
- Drug resistance 4: Chloroquine (east of the Panama Canal).
- Malaria species: P. vivax 99%, P. falciparum 1%.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis:
- Provinces of Darien, Guna Yala, and eastern Panama province: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, or primaquine 5.
- Ngäbe-Buglé: Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, mefloquine, or primaquine 5.
Map 3-34. Yellow fever vaccine recommendations in Panama 1
Map 3-35. Malaria in Panama
Brunette, Gary W., editor. "Panama." CDC Yellow Book, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2018. Relief Central, relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204365/all/Panama.
Panama. In: Brunette GW, ed. CDC Yellow Book. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2018. https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204365/all/Panama. Accessed April 4, 2020.
Panama. (2018). In Brunette, G. W. (Ed.), CDC Yellow Book. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved April 04, 2020, from https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204365/all/Panama
Panama [Internet]. In: Brunette GW, editors. CDC Yellow Book. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2018. [cited 2020 April 04]. Available from: https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204365/all/Panama.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Panama ID - 204365 ED - Brunette,Gary W, BT - CDC Yellow Book UR - https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204365/all/Panama PB - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention DB - Relief Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -