- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YF virus transmission and ≥1 year of age, including transit >12 hours in an airport located in a country with risk of YF virus transmission. 1
- Recommendations: None
- Areas with malaria: Present along the border with Zimbabwe and Mozambique. Specifically in Mopani, Vhembe, and Waterberg district municipalities of Limpopo Province; Ehlanzeni district municipality in Mpumalanga Province; and Umknanyakude in Kwazulu-Natal Province. Present in Kruger National Park (Map 2-25)
- Drug resistance 3: Chloroquine.
- Malaria species: P. falciparum 90%, P. vivax 5%, P. ovale 5%.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Areas in Limpopo, Mpumalanga, and Kwazulu-Natal Provinces with malaria: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, or tafenoquine. 4
Map 2-25. Malaria in South Africa
Brunette, Gary W., editor. "South Africa." CDC Yellow Book, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2018. Relief Central, relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204396/all/South_Africa.
South Africa. In: Brunette GWG, ed. CDC Yellow Book. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2018. https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204396/all/South_Africa. Accessed April 1, 2023.
South Africa. (2018). In Brunette, G. W. (Ed.), CDC Yellow Book. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204396/all/South_Africa
South Africa [Internet]. In: Brunette GWG, editors. CDC Yellow Book. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2018. [cited 2023 April 01]. Available from: https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204396/all/South_Africa.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - South Africa ID - 204396 ED - Brunette,Gary W, BT - CDC Yellow Book UR - https://relief.unboundmedicine.com/relief/view/cdc-yellow-book/204396/all/South_Africa PB - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention DB - Relief Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -