- Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YF virus transmission. 1
- Recommendations: None
- Areas with malaria: All, except none in the city of Vientiane.
- Drug resistance 3: Chloroquine and mefloquine.
- Malaria species: P. falciparum 65%, P. vivax 34%, P. malariae and P. ovale 1% combined.
- Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Along the Laos-Burma (Myanmar) border in the provinces of Bokeo and Louang Namtha and along the Laos-Thailand border in the province of Champasak and Saravan, along the Laos-Cambodia border, and along the Laos-Vietnam border: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or tafenoquine. 4 All other areas with malaria: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, or tafenoquine. 4